When it comes to yachting and the phrase “bigger is not always better” does not hold true. In the yachting community you are definitely defined by the size of your boat and how many toys you have on board. In fact, many of the mega yachts that are built are to showcase the affluence and extravagant taste of the owner. The yachts that we discuss in this article are just that; a showcase of the rich and the famous. Since we no longer live in a society of classes aka Kings and Queens this is another way to prove that you are in fact royalty.
5. Triple Deuce – This is the 1-billion-dollar mystery yacht that is set to be the largest and most expensive yacht to ever be built. The owner of this yacht is private and will not be disclosed. This boat will be 131 feet larger than the largest yacht that currently sails the open oceans. The annual operating costs of this boat will be around 30 million to keep operating and maintained. (no photos are available)
4. Azzam – This is the largest yacht in the world at 590 ft, it was built for the owner Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan al Nahyan by Lurssen Yachts in 2013. It boasts many things besides size that include performance, amenities, and luxury. Azzam was provisioned with such things as a bullet proof master suite and a missile defense system on board. This yacht will reach up to a top speed of 30 knots, considering her size is very impressive.
3. Eclipse – This superyacht was the largest in the world before it was surpassed by Azzam, it was built by Blohem and Voss for Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, who is said to be one of the richest men in the world. Eclipse is equipped with 2 swimming pools and 2 helicopter landing pads and has a crew of 70 to keep it running. It is also known as the anti-paparazzi ship, if you get within a certain range of the ship for photos there is a technology the interacts with digital cameras via laser and overexposes any image taken. This yacht features 18 staterooms and can sleep up to 36 guests.
2. Dubai – Dubai was built in 2006 for owner Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum by Laurssen and Blohem and Voss as a joint project. This yacht focused a lot on luxury, the interiors of this yacht boast handmade mosaics and fabrics from remote parts of the world. The staircase might be one of its most impressive features which is naturally lit by the top deck and is entirely made of glass and changes colors, truly a site to behold. The crew area has accommodations for 115 people.
1. Al Saïd – This mega yacht was built in 2008 by mega yacht builder Lurssen Yachts for the Sultan Qaboos bin Sa‘id Al Saïd of Oman. This yacht is said to have a crew of 150 and makes tops speeds of 25 knots at her max capacity. It does have a helipad and a full cinema and can comfortable sleep 65 guests.